Faith like a Child

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The moment I most cherish from this past school year happened while I was testing a kindergartner, S. I was giving an evaluation to see if he qualified for speech. I showed S a picture of a king, and he was supposed to tell me what he saw in the picture. He responded appropriately, and said "king." Then he paused for a second and declared, "Jesus is my King." I was floored. A five year old just professed his faith to me. He continued, "Is Jesus your King, Ms. Katie?" Whoa. Holding back tears, I said, "Yes, He is my King, S." He went further and claimed, "That's good. Jesus is going to come back for us someday, IF we believe in him." Oh my goodness. How cool to be witnessed to by a kindergartner.


I didn't get a chance to tell his mom what S had said until this morning. I figured that if he were my child, I would want to know that every moment spent teaching him about the cross and Christ's love had grown deep roots in his heart. I told her the story in the parking lot, and she started crying. She grabbed my hand, and said, "Thank you for sharing that with me." I thought I would share it with the rest of you.

I pray that my kid is so in love with Jesus, that he witnesses to his teacher in kindergarten :)

2 comments:

Alex said...

That is so awesome!!! Thanks for sharing that Katie!

PS-Missed you yesterday.

amarismarie said...

duh. i'm crying.